Used in medicine for epilepsy treatment for kids, the ketogenic or keto diet reached mainstream. It is now a very popular diet option that promises health transformation. Not only does it help people lose their stubborn fat but I’ve heard claims to that through keto diet people are treated from various diseases without help of medicine, it brought amazing energy and stamina, and repair damaged telomeres hence bringing youth back.
I’ve been following Dr. Eric Berg on Youtube, where I learned a lot about keto diet and ketosis. As a middle-aged woman with some health issues, I thought of giving keto diet a chance. Partly to lose weight but primarily, I wanted to have more energy and to lessen my migraine episodes.
I’ve tried it. I failed. But I am bouncing back. But one thing is definite, I am eating less and I cut my rice intake from 0 to few times a week.
What is ketosis
Ketogenic or keto diet is a very low carb, adequate protein and high fat diet. Its objective is for you to reach a state of ketosis wherein your body uses ketones as energy instead of sugar. Ketones are produced by the liver from fat. You can check the Diet Doctor for more information.
What you are allowed to eat for the keto diet includes meat, fish, lots of veggies, eggs, butter and natural fat.
I was searching for some delicious yet easy keto recipes I can do. Eating saba, kamote and fried fish gets boring. So, I decided to write this blog post for myself and for individuals who may want to try keto diet, and for people who are looking for additional keto recipes for their weekly meal plan.
The first 3 recipes are mine. The rest are recipes I need to try.
To start off, let me share my favorite alternative to rice, which is cauliflower rice. I bought a chopper from Lazada just for me to easily chopped the cauliflower.
Cauliflower is a perfect alternative to rice. One large head of cauliflower is enough for 2 people. You cook it the same way you cook fried rice.
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Finely chopped cauliflower
- Scrambled egg, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: veggies
- Melt the butter in the pan.
- Add minced garlic.
- If you have some veggies, stir it in.
- Then, saute the chopped cauliflower.
- Cover the pan with lid and let the steam cook the cauliflower or you may also add a couple of tablespoons of water.
- Season it with salt and pepper.
- Add the scrambled egg.
I had fun getting my hands messy in cooking this. I used flour and bread crumbs here though to achieve a crispy meatball. But you can remove it from the ingredients including the egg wash.
- Around 700 grams ground pork
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- Carrots, minced
- 3 heads Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red onions, finely chopped
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Flour for coating
- Egg wash
- Panko bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- In a bowl, mix the ground pork, minced carrots, garlic, onion, and beaten egg. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Create a ball from the mixture and then flatten it using your fingers.
- Put the hard-boiled egg on the flatten pork mixture and wrap it around.
- Coat it with flour and dunk it to the egg wash.
- Then, coat it with bread crumbs.
- Heat the oil in the pan and fry the meatballs in medium heat.
Squash and carrots soup
This is one of my favorites. I can eat this even if I’m not on diet.
- Chopped squash
- Chopped carrots
- Around 4 cloves of garlic
- Nestle cream
- salt and pepper
- Optional: cooked bacon, chopped
- Boil the squash, carrots and garlic until tender in a pot.
- Use a blender to make a puree.
- Add the puree to the pot and cook it in low to medium heat.
- Mix the cream into the soup.
- Season it with salt and pepper.
- Serve it with hot. You may top it with chopped bacon.
This is a stuffed egg recipe. As alternative to bacon and sausage, you can also use your leftover cooked meat or chicken.
Garlic steak bites
This simple recipe by Coop Can Cook looks very yummy.
Creamy chicken with mushroom
This is an easy to cook and delectable chicken recipe by Gochujang Mamá.
Keto brownie bites
When your body is in ketosis, it is said that you will lose food cravings. If you are having some cravings, you must check what you are doing wrong. It can be a lifestyle issue as well when you don’t get adequate sleep (ahem) and you are stressed.
Nevertheless, if you want some variety and a little sweetness on your table, you can have some keto desserts for a guilt-free treats. However, buying ready-made can be somewhat pricey.
So, if you want to make your own dessert, here’s keto fat bomb recipe by Joe Duff – The Diet Chef.
Do you have some quick and easy keto recipes? Feel free to share in the comment box below.